Wednesday, January 11, 2012

About A Girl - Joanne Horniman

I chose this as my first book to read in the Australian Women Writers Challenge.  Mostly because I know i'll be doing a high school placement again this year so i'm looking for YA novels that have different perspectives that I can take into schools. 


About A Girl is the story of Anna, the girl who thinks she's unlovable and Flynn the girl she meets and falls for.  It's a nice "coming out" story and a good quick read for the more adult members of the YA readership.  I can see why it was commended by the Children's Book Council Awards because it is a well written and strong story.  It's not a particularly happy story but the characters are well drawn and developed and the plot feels real. 

In terms of new voices for teens I think this is the first Australian lesbian YA novel I have read and I enjoyed it a lot.  Next up will be Alexis Wright's Carpentaria (for a major shift) and Gabrielle Wang's Little Paradise.

1 comment:

  1. What a unique sounding book, I am sure this theme is rarely found in Australian fiction. Thanks for bringing it to light

    Shelleyrae @ Book'd Out

    ReplyDelete