Saturday, November 13, 2010

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland - Lewis Carroll

Still reading the Childrens fiction list as opposed to the Australian fiction because these ones are way more fun.  Besides a lot of these i've read before and know pretty well so it's more a case of re-reading quickly so I can gather some thoughts as opposed to plodding through and analysing a text.

To start with I have to say I'd really like the drugs Lewis Carroll was on cause seriously this book is weird.  I mean I loved it as a child but now that i'm reading it as an adult it just sounds like the most intense drug trip ever.  Then again anything with randomly anthropomorphised animals strikes me as trippy and more than a little wrong Similar case in point... Wicked.  I love Wicked but there are some bits of that book I never want to read again (yes Animal Orgy chapter I'm thinking of you).  And while I loved Alice when I was a child now as an adult I thinks she's irritating, annoying and far too spoiled for her own good. 

Still there are characters and bits that I love.  I love the imagery of playing croquet with hedgehogs and flamingos.  I love the nonsense poetry and all the plays on words in it.  And the Hatter, Cheshire Cat and the Caterpillar are awesome. 

Getting back to the book was interesting because while I have read it I've since seen several adaptations and re-imaginings.  They range from the Disney cartoon, to the live action tv miniseries and finally to last years Tim Burton film which I completely loved.  And I think that is the main source of my problem with the character Alice.  I wanted Mia Wasikowska's Alice who is capable and thoughtful and brave and who gets to slay the Jabberwock and takes charge of her life and escapes for adventures.  I forgot that Alice is a little girl who is dreamy and whiny and confused by her situation and usually thinks far too highly of herself. 

So it was interesting to get back too.  Next I think will be Wizard of Oz where I will have far more problems thanks to Gregory Maguire and my love of Elphaba.

No comments:

Post a Comment